First Congregational Church of Ithaca (NY)
Director of Children and Youth Ministries
Our church is open and affirming, theologically progressive, busy, creative, thoughtful, musical, well-educated, artistic, and growing! We seek a FT (12 month) Director of Children and Youth Ministries who is energetic and talented – someone who can match the pace of our growing children and youth programs; build an infrastructure with an integrated curriculum; train and oversee volunteers; and season the entire program with a personal blend of excitement, creativity, and color. The Director will work closely with the Children and Youth Ministries Committees, other members of the Church Staff, and the Senior Minister. This person will be passionate about education and forming the faith of our children and youth; possess excellent communication and people skills; be organized, gentle, inspired, and inspiring; and will create an overall program that generates a buzz in Ithaca.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits package. The Director of Children and Youth Ministries will report directly to the Senior Minister and collaborate with the Children’s and Youth Committees as well as the Director of music.
The Director is responsible for planning and coordinating Christian education, outreach, fellowship, and participation in the service for children and youth through grade 12, as well as coordinating care for children in the nursery during worship and church events.
- help create a congregational culture in which Sunday School classes are well organized, enthusiastically staffed, and thoughtfully designed to actively engage our children and youth in faith formation.
- lead in the selection/development of an integrated curricula for all Sunday School classes, recruit and train adults to teach our classes, ensure volunteers are in compliance with our Safe Sanctuary policy
- work closely with Children and Youth Committees, other members of Church Staff, and the Senior Minister, including attending appropriate meetings.
- supervise the nursery worker(s) and volunteers, ensure adults in the nursery are in compliance with our Safe Sanctuary policy, and generally ensure that care for our youngest members is nurturing and safe.
- be present and visible on Sunday mornings
- coordinate and support continuing, pre-established musical opportunities for our children and youth with the appropriate staff or volunteers. Musical training is helpful but not required.
- maintain a calendar of children and youth activities, and communicate with our families, youth, Senior Minister, and congregation regarding those programs and activities.
- facilitate age appropriate mission activities and fellowship opportunities for children and youth, including intergenerational and interdenominational fellowship.
- ensure childcare is available during church events
- reach out to new families and connect them with the congregation.
- assist with providing a meaningful confirmation experience for our youth.
- encourage youth to participate in all facets of the church, particularly in church leadership and worship.
Bachelor’s degree required. Experience in education strongly preferred. This person must be open and affirming, well organized, detail oriented, creative, warm, nurturing, and driven by faith in God. The Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries will join First Congregational Church of Ithaca as a full or associate member. A working knowledge of scripture and Christian traditions and a desire to deepen one’s personal understanding of scripture is also required. We will encourage and support continuing education. Strong communication skills, both verbal and through the use of technology, are a must.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and names of 3-5 references to email@example.com for consideration. The search committee will begin reviewing applications May 11. Ideally the contract will begin July 1.