First Congregational Church of Ithaca (NY)
Director of Caring Ministries
Our church is open and affirming, theologically progressive, busy, creative, thoughtful, musical, well-educated, artistic, and growing! We seek a part-time Director of Caring Ministries who is thoughtful and passionate- who will support the members of our congregation who are in need. The Director will work closely with a dedicated Caring Committee, other members of the Church Staff, and the Senior Minister. This person will be passionate about people; knowledgeable about counseling and health care, possess excellent communication and people skills; experienced in how to recruit, train and supervise volunteers; be organized, gentle, inspired, and inspiring; and will create an overall program that ministers to our members and friends and carries the church’s mission to the whole community in Ithaca.
This is an at-will salaried/exempt position for 15 hours/week/12 months. The term of employment is two years, with the possibility of renewal. The Director of Caring will report directly to the Senior Minister and collaborate with the Caring Committee.
The Director of Caring Ministry will provide parish visitation support and will collaborate with the Senior Minister, Caring Committee and others to ensure that church members’ and friends’ needs are met, and spiritual care is provided. This is not an ordained or called position, although ordained ministers are encouraged to apply.
- Visit parishioners who are hospitalized, home and facility bound, in coordination with Senior Minister.
- Develop and promote Support Groups on topics such as divorce, parenting, transition, grief, illness, etc.
- Be visible and present on Sunday mornings and lead the cares and prayers of the congregation as requested by the Senior Minister.
- Assist the Senior Minister in memorial services including planning, and bereavement counseling with family members; may include participating in services.
- Provide pastoral care coverage when the Senior Minister is away.
- Assist the Senior Minister and relevant committees on care-related events as needed, such as a healing service.
- Attend weekly staff meetings. Be prepared to share names of members and friends in need of prayer.
- Work with Caring Team and other lay care givers by attending meetings, coordinating care needs, recruiting additional members, providing continuing education, etc.
Faith and Professional Development:
Participate in professional development programs and continuing education events as requested by Senior Minister.
Bachelor’s degree and at least five years’ experience in care and counseling in a pastoral, chaplaincy, social services, educational or medical role, is required. This person must be open and affirming, well organized, detail oriented, creative, warm, nurturing, and driven by faith in God. The Director of Caring will join First Congregational Church of Ithaca as a full or associate member. A working knowledge of scripture and Christian traditions and a desire to deepen one’s personal understanding of scripture is preferred. We will encourage and support continuing education. Strong communication skills, both verbal and through the use of technology, are a must.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and names of 3-5 references to email@example.com for consideration. The search committee will begin reviewing applications April 23. Ideally the contract will begin July 1, 2019.