First Congregational Church of Ithaca logo

Church Stuff

Church History

Our church used to meet in downtown Ithaca, on the corner of Seneca and Geneva. It was affiliated with a few different denominations (Presbyterian, Dutch Reformed), and then became a Congregational Church in 1884. The first building of the First Congregational Church is now St. Catherine Greek Orthodox Church. In the 1950s, the congregation recognized that we were growing and needed more meeting and parking space. The current building on Highland Road was built in 1959.

We continued to grow as a congregation and decided in 1981 to join the United Church of Christ. And in 2010, we voted to become an Open and Affirming congregation, making official our commitment to extravagant welcome. Our history is still being written...won't you join us in shaping our future?

Pastor Emeritus: The Rev. Dr. Douglas Green

ArrowIcon BloggerIcon AimIcon DeliciousIcon PaperIcon EtsyIcon FacebookIcon FilmStripIcon FlickrIcon CameraIcon LaunchIcon GooglePlus2Icon GooglePlusIcon HeartIcon InformationIcon InstagramIcon LastfmIcon FrontCameraIcon LinkedInIcon EmailIcon MoneyIcon ItunesIcon MyspaceIcon OpenTableIcon PayPalIcon PencilIcon PersonIcon PhotoIcon PicasaIcon PinterestIcon PodcastIcon RssIcon ShoppingCartIcon SoundCloudIcon StarIcon TableProjectIcon TheCityIcon TumblrIcon Twitter2Icon TwitterIcon TypepadIcon VideoIcon VimeoIcon WordPressIcon YelpIcon YoutubeIcon